Friday, August 15, 2008

More Cast Iron

All of a sudden, I'm a magnet for cast iron (get it?). On my trip to visit my mother's side of the family, my cousin gave me two dutch ovens, a corn stick pan and 3 skillets! I gave my sister one of the dutch ovens, two skillets and the corn stick pan I already had (smaller and newer than the one my cousin gave me). Only problem was all the rust. He'd had them stored in his barn, so they were all pretty rusty. Today's project was to tackle the rust. My cousin said I'd need to have them sandblasted, but since I don't even know where to begin to have that done, I Googled "cleaning rusty cast iron" and came up with the idea of using vinegar. I soaked and scrubbed and soaked and scrubbed and am down to the bare iron, with the exception of a few patches of rust that'll need more work. I think the vinegar took a layer off my hands, too. For now, the bare iron looks pretty dry and forlorn, so I'll probably give it a light coating of Crisco until I get around to working on it again. I didn't even start on the lid.

In the meantime, I'll be on the lookout for good dutch oven recipes so I'll have something great to start off with.

No comments: